Job Title: Specimen Processor
Reports To: Processing Supervisor
Status: Non Exempt
General Description and Essential Functions
- Responsible for the proper identification of patients and specimens following CCPL policy and procedure for patient identification and labeling.
- Responsible for proper collection and handling and post care of patients and patient samples.
- Responsible for accurate accessioning and logging in of patient specimens and challenges.
- Properly inputs patient demographics, correct codes (test, diagnoses) and provider in the laboratory computer system.
- Properly utilizes Personal Protective Equipment and follows guidelines for sharps safety. Follows all Standard Precaution guidelines.
- Organizes and coordinates specimens, and paperwork, including: filing, sorting and storing of specimens to ensure materials can be located immediately.
- Ensures proper facility maintenance and cleanliness by participating in the daily checking and cleaning of equipment and work areas. For example: following proper protocol for charting of temperatures, cleaning, disinfecting and disposal.
- Monitors inventory levels. Counts orders upon receipt and stores in designated storage area same day as delivery
- Demonstrates safe practices as trained and participates in on-going safety training per CCPL policy
- Responsible for customer service such as answering and returning phone calls. Promotes a positive image of CCPL through professional, efficient and pleasant interactions with patients, physicians, provider’s staff and co-workers.
- Organizes and prepares specimens for couriers to deliver to the laboratory or reference laboratories.
- Audits patient's requisitions with 100% accuracy.
- Responsible for filling supply orders for the patient service centers.
- Participates in the orientation and training of new laboratory employees.
- Identifies and resolves situations needing special attention.
- Ensures proper billing information is communicated to billing department.
- Communicates all customer service issues to supervisor or laboratory manager.
- Follows all HIPPA and Compliance protocols.
- In addition to an employees work schedule, this position may require employees to work weekends, split shifts, and holidays if needed by the company. Other duties may apply as necessaryPhysical Capabilities
- Light physical effort (lift/carry up to 25 lbs.)
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, and crouching
- Frequent, prolonged standing/sitting/walking
- Must be able to see, hear, and respond adequately
- Extensive computer work
- Frequent use of telephone and fax
- Occasional travel required to interact with Division personnel and/or attend meetings, educational trainingWork Experience and Educational Requirement
- Knowledge of basic laboratory preferred
- Ability to work the computer system, analyzer machines, telephones, copy and fax machines.
- If employee is required to operate a company vehicle for the performance of their duties, they must meet applicable company insurance guidelines, including a DMV record comparable to that of a Transportation Courier.
- High school graduate or GED required. Associates of Science Degree or Bachelors of Science degree from accredited college or university preferred.