Monday - Friday 1:00PM - 9:45PM
Job Title: Pathology Lab Technician 1
Reports To: Pathology Supervisor
Status: Non Exempt
General Description and Essential Functions
- Responsible for the proper accessioning and log in of patient specimens
- Responsible for ensuring that the correct codes (specimen and CPT) are entered on each specimen or lab test ordered
- Responsible for grossing of less complex routine specimens in accordance with CCPL’s grossing policies
- Properly dictates the grossing and description of routine specimens
- Grosses only those specimens for which he or she has received proper training and deemed competent by Supervisor
- Organizes and coordinates specimens, blocks and slides, including filing, sorting and storing of all specimens daily to ensure that materials can be located immediately at all times.
- Prepares solutions, reagents and stains following laboratory formulas and procedures.
- Assists Pathologists with frozen sections procedures and staining and any other requests from Pathologists.
- Prepares non-gyn cytology specimens using cytocentrifugation technique or Surepath pre-preparation
- Assures proper maintenance of equipment by participating in the daily checking or cleaning of equipment related to job such as refrigerators, freezers, cytocentrifuge, cryostat, dictation equipment, etc.
- Completes pathology laboratory logs
- Monitors inventory levels. Counts orders upon receipt and stores in designated storage area same day as delivery
- Ensures cleanliness of the pathology laboratory, gross room and equipment on daily basis
- Demonstrates safe practices as trained and participates in on-going safety training per CCPL policy
- Responsible for customer service related to the laboratory such as answering phones and receiving visitors to the laboratory. Promotes a positive image of CCPL through professional, efficient and pleasant interactions with physicians, clients and staff.
- Responsible for fulfilling/responding to email requests from Pathologist's
- Organizes and prepares slides for couriers to deliver to hospitals and doctor offices
- Responsible for retrieving slide and block requests as requested, documenting request and properly packaging and sending materials with the courier
- Responsible for various afternoon and evening Histology duties including handling and distributing late order slides (IHC's and specials), printing worklists, starting processors and assisting with stainer maintenance.
- In addition to an employee’s typical work schedule, this position may require employees to work overtime, weekends, split shifts, varying shift schedules, and holidays if needed by the Company. Other duties may apply as necessary.
- Physical Capabilities
- Light physical effort (lift/carry up to 25 lbs.)
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, and crouching
- Frequent, prolonged standing/sitting/walking
- Must be able to see, hear, and respond adequately
- Extensive computer work
- Frequent use of telephone and fax
- Occasional travel required to interact with Division personnel and/or attend meetings, educational training
- Work Experience and Educational Requirement
- Knowledge of basic laboratory, phlebotomy, and clinical laboratory safety procedures is required.
- Ability to work the computer system, analyzer machines, telephones, copy and fax machines.
- High school graduate or GED required
- Associates of Science Degree or Bachelors of Science degree from accredited college or university preferred.