General Description and Essential Functions (Duties included but not limited to)
- Accession and prepare specimens for gross examination.
- Assist pathologist with handling and grossing of specimens.
- Responsible for embedding, cutting, and staining of all specimens.
- Responsible for cover slipping and labeling of slides to be delivered to pathologist with in specified time frame.
- Prepare and maintain H&E and special stains. Perform special stains as requested. Process bone marrow samples as requested.
- Maintain, operate, and troubleshoot tissue processor, microtome, and embedding unit.
- Dispose of tissue in compliance with policies and procedures.
- File slides and tissue blocks.
- Record temperatures and work log sheets daily.
- Assist cytology assistant with accessioning and preparing of pap specimens and body fluids.
- In addition to an employee’s typical work schedule, this position may require employees to work weekends, split shifts, and holidays if needed by the Company. Other duties may apply as necessary.
- Light physical effort (lift/carry up to 25 lbs.)
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, and crouching
- Frequent, prolonged standing/sitting/walking
- Must be able to see, hear, and respond adequately
- Extensive computer work
- Frequent use of telephone and fax
- Occasional travel required to interact with Division personnel and/or attend meetings, educational training